Frankfort - Crossroads of Clover Leaf and Lake Erie & Western

FRANKFORT, IND., is located in rich agricultural country. Clinton County, of which Frankfort is the county seat, grows vast quantities of corn, soybeans and oats. Also, it is one of Indiana's top hog-producing counties.

Nevertheless, Frankfort with its population of about 18,000 is basically a railroad town.

As early as 1874 Frankfort became headquarters for the Frankfort and Kokomo

The superintendent and chief dispatcher of the Clover Leaf District and the trainmaster of the Peoria Division of the L. E. & W. have headquarters there; the master mechanic supervises both the Clover Leaf and the L. E. & W. Districts from Frankfort; and the division engineers for both districts use the old Clover Leaf building downtown as their headquarters.

The yards at the west edge of the city can hold nearly 1,300 cars. Trains from

Railroad, one of the earliest forerunners of the "Clover Leaf." The 25-mile-long railroad was built as a standard-gauge line, later was converted to narrow-gauge and then was returned to standard-gauge.

The present right-of-way of the Lake Erie & Western District came through Frankfort about 1876 as part of the LaFayette, Muncie and Bloomington Rail Road.

Since 1923, when the Clover Leaf and the L. E. & W. became part of the Nickel Plate System, Frankfort has been the crossroads of these two districts. It is a division-polnt for four divisions. The Nickel Plate is the largest employer in the city, supporting about one out of every four families.


Frankfort - Crossroads of Clover Leaf and Lake Erie & Western
Frankfort - Crossroads of Clover Leaf and Lake Erie & Western

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Employee Magazines Home